Wednesday, October 15, 2014

left HANDED draw - alexpascualart - INKTOBER 2014 - PLUS: Old Art School Memories I

In reaction to my recent art rant (see below), I decided to attempt a drawing using my left, non-dominant hand.  I know what to expect physically and creatively from my right-hand.  Perhaps by taking advantage of the virtual inexperience my left-hand has, I can tap into that Buddhist idea of "the beginner's mind".  And for a brief moment escape the trappings of my experience. please watch and I hope you enjoy!! :)





left HANDED draw - alexpascualart - INKTOBER 2014

**random art rant**

Something reminded me today of an old classmate I had in the open art studio at The Evergreen State College.  She was an older lady, guessing returning to school, and had little to no proper art training, or quote-on-quote, natural-talent.  In a class full of young, talented, avant-garde, art  scenesters (i.e. the proto-hipster) you would think she didn't stand a chance.

But I remember really liking her stuff for its raw nature; its lack of finesse; the complete utter disregard for any technical prowess.  What her pieces did have was an honest and unpretentious quality and an unintentional degree of darkness that the other students could only wish to purposely create.  Sometimes, for all the skills I've collected over the years, I wish, and even attempt at times, to paint or draw with that same artistic naiveté; too perhaps capture something more visceral and primal than merely honing my craft with some proof-of-concept in hope to impress.

Pablo Picasso could render and sketch like a master before any of us could even learn to drive, but decided later in life to go the way he did.  An old art-school saying, "learn the rules so you can break them" comes to mind.  Although I do identify with my own style and clearly see my influences within my work, the artistic arsenal in witch I enact my works are the exact trappings that occasionally haunt me in trying to continue and discover new ways to express myself.

So to you my old classmate, forgive me for I cannot remember your name, but cheers to the talentless, the headstrong, and those who want to break the mold, both inner and outer.  For their sakes, maybe we can find sanity together.

**end rant**

No comments:

Post a Comment